Time for a major change methinks.
I’ve been offered the ‘opportunity’ to live out the rest of my days in the force control room. I’m seriously thinking about taking the job.
I’ve done in excess of 25 years ‘on the street’. The whole of that time has been on full shifts & the vast majority, with the exception of a small stint on traffic, has been on what we used to call ‘section’ or front-line response or whatever the current buzzword for bottom of the pile is these days.
There will be those, I guess, who will say I’ll be selling my soul to the devil, or selling-out my fellow workers or taking the easy way out, but I do feel genuinely that I’ve played my part and served my time. There aren’t many people still on the streets on shift after nearly 30 years.
So the factors to weigh up in my decision to leave the front line & go over to the dark side are;
- no rain
- no paperwork
- no court appearances, wasted or otherwise
- leave work on time
- no enforced overtime
- no being spat at, pinched, kicked or otherwise abused (except on the phone)
- no injuries (except paper cuts)
- work at the same place every day
- no complaints (OK fewer complaints – everyone gets complained about)
- grub break most days
- Getting to drive really fast
- team cameraderie
- that’s it
I mean, come on, it’s a no brainer, surely….you wouldn’t blame me.